Thursday, June 17, 2010

He's Here!

It is my intention to blog as much as possible now that we have a new member of the family to let everyone know what is going on in our lives. Right now I'm not going to add pictures because it takes me so long to add that in - but I eventually will. Anyways, here's what has happened so far:
June 12, 2010 - 39 weeks, 1 day pregnant
Eddie was playing in a golf tournament so Reece and I just hung out at home. He spent the majority of the time in the backyard with his neighborhood friends and I cleaned. Mindy invited us over for dinner so we headed over there around 7, with Eddie to show up for dinner. Mindy grilled chicken, made cheddar mashed potatoes, and green beans for a great meal (a huge step up from the pb&js I'd been eating since I was getting too tired to cook!) Around 9 I stood up to hand Piper to Mindy when I felt a gush - I tried whispering to her that either my water had broke or I wet myself but she got so excited the whole house soon knew. I figured out quickly that my water had indeed broke (but as I pointed out to Bryson - it didn't get on their floors!)

Everyone wanted to go to the hospital so Mindy drove me, Piper, and Parker to our house to pick up my hospital bags and to get Reece's stuff (he was staying the night at their house). We left for the hospital while Bryson, Eddie, and Reece took Charlie over to their house and then went back to our house to pick up my wedding ring (I had taken it off when I was doing dishes).

We got to the hospital a little after 10 and I was checked into my room (Birthing Room 15). They hooked me up to the monitors and did the strip test to make sure my waters had indeed broke and then checked me. Unfortunately, I was still about the same as I had been at my 36 week apt (2 -3 cms dilated, 60% effaced, -2 station). I was checked again around midnight (3 cms dilated, 60% effaced, -2 station) and by this time most everyone was there Eddie Sr, Stephannie (Brandon was there for awhile too), mom, & dad. Bryson & Mindy had went home to put the kids to sleep. At 2 a.m. they checked me again (3 cms, 60% effaced, -2 station), needless to say I was getting frustrated that I wasn't progressing as I was having steady contractions every 3 minutes. Around 2:30 they put in my epidural and I was amazed at how it took away the pain completely (the one I got with Reece wasn't like that!) The nurse mentioned that the doctor might want to start pitocin if I didn't start contracting but I told her I wanted to avoid it if possible. They checked me again at 4:30 a.m. (4 cms, 65%, -1 station) and told me that the doctor would give me a little more time but that if things didn't pick up we'd have to start pitocin to give the contractions some strength. As I rested in bed, I had a talk with baby about making his way out so we didn't have to have any drugs and when I was checked at 6:30 a.m. I had finally made progress! I was 6 cms, 85%, 0 station. They said I had made it over the hump so we wouldn't have to do any pitocin. I was starting to really feel my contractions at this point and hoped we were nearing the end. At 8 a.m. I was checked and I was complete! They got everything ready and the doctor was called. When the doctor came in, we quickly introduced ourselves (my ob was on vacation) and we got ready to start. They told me we were going to push 3 times each contraction and count to 10 each push. The first contraction brought the top of his head out and the second contraction brought him into this world! It is amazing to me that I had him out in only 2 sets of pushing! I also choose to use the birthing mirror and it was really cool to see him being born.

Little Myles was born on 6/13/2010 at 8:35 a.m. weighing 7 lbs, 10 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations, Autumn!

I wish you peace and joy as you transition into your new roles as a family of four. :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net